Thursday, June 16, 2011

Di Matteo

Naples, IT
This is why we came to Naples, to have pizza where it was invented. I had researched and picked three beloved pizzerias and Di Matteo was the first. I thought it was just a small takeout window at first, but walk upstairs and you will find TONS of people enjoying fresh pizza. Tourists and locals alike, there must have been at least 50-60 people there, with only a few open tables to spare, a good initial sign.
We started off with local beer DAB and Fanta while we glanced at the menu which was filled with a number of options and cheap prices. We decided to go with the classic Margherita and unique and interesting pizza fritta.
Margherita
The picture doesn't really do it justice. In one bite of this iconic margherita pizza, it made me understand why Naples is the pizza capital of the world. In its simplicity, the pizza really shined. From the tartness and flavor of the one of a kind tomato sauce to the perfect taste and chewiness of the crust, it was unlike any margherita that I've had in my life. Simplistic and superb. 
Pizza Fritta
I had read about the pizza fritta in guide books but I had no idea what it was. When I saw the table next to us receive theirs, I was really intrigued and had to order one of my own. 
Pizza Fritta interior, ricotta and ham
When we finally cut into the pizza fritta, it was blistering hot with ooozing melted mozzerella, fresh ricotta, tomato sauce and chunks of ham, really great. My biggest regret is that I can't get it in the states. One of my favorite bites of the whole trip.
This is what our plates looked like at the end of the meal. As you can see, we enjoyed our first pizzas in Naples.

Overall 8/10
May 24, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment