Saturday, April 30, 2011

Gregoire

Berkeley, CA
It seems crazy that we hadn't been to this Berkeley institution before, but we're glad we finally got our chance. On a Saturday afternoon, the place was packed with about 25 people lined up, waiting for their premium box lunches.
Fried buttermilk chicken filet with spicy cole slaw on sweet roll
Chu-Toro got the fried chicken sandwich which had a nice spicy kick to it and she liked the chicken filet better than Bakesale Betty's. Although Betty's slaw was far superior. The side of lentils had a refreshing citrus flavor to it and was an interesting side dish.  
Crispy potato puffs
Everyone is nuts for the crispy potato puffs and I can see why, they're like creamy thick tater tots, a nice alternative to fries.
Sautéed local rock cod & chorizo with garlic aioli & fried capers on pantofolina
As much as I like fried chicken sandwiches, I think I liked my rock cod and chorizo sandwich even more. The only thing I wish was that there was more contents in the sandwich, because it was really tasty. The garlic aioli really brought everything together, really fresh with a surprising bold, deep flavor profile. It was one of the most unique sandwiches I've ever had.
I can see why this place is so revered, because of its amazing flavors, fresh ingredients and cheap prices. It's become an instant classic for us and we can't wait to come back

Rating 7/10
April 2, 2011
Shaddy Approved

No comments:

Post a Comment