Sunday, April 17, 2011

Golden Gate Bakery

San Francisco, CA
For decades Golden Gate Bakery has been considered the best egg custard tart in San Francisco. You can tell by the lines out the door despite the fact they can charge a ridiculous $1.15 per tart (a normal one is about 70 cents). I only probably make it here once or twice a year, but its always a nice treat to have a perfect fresh, warm tart. 
Egg Custard Tart
During my latest visit, Shadow and I beat the crowd and avoided any lines on a early Saturday morning. We then walked to a park to enjoy the freshly made treat. The verdict? Good, but not amazing. I think there was something different with the crust, which was not as flaky as it once was. The crust is really what made theirs stand out above all others. I just felt like I was missing some of the layers it previously had. I've heard rumors that since the head baker passed away it hasn't been the same. The custard itself was still excellent and overall a good product. However, it did not evoke the same nostalgia it had in years past and at nearly 50% the cost than other egg custards, I'm not sure its worth it the trip and the cost. If we're in the Chinatown area I'm sure we'll stop by, but only to grab two, instead of the normal dozen. 


Rating 7/10
April 16, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment